Friday, October 28, 2011

Chapter 8: Responding and Assessing

Selfe, Cynthia L. Multimodal Composition: Resources for Teachers. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton, 2007. Print.


This chapter is all about assessing composition assignments. I was really interested in reading this, because in the writing center where I work, I have found that a lot of teachers grades are very subjective. Most of the time, no rubrics are used, and their own personal whims have a lot to do with the ways in which they grade papers. Students know which teachers are tough graders, versus which ones aren't. It makes me beg the question of how exactly teachers can achieve more consistency?


What I like about this chapter is the fact that it addresses the importance of instruction lining up consistently with evaluation. I hear students all the time saying that their teachers are easygoing, laid back, and seem to want them to succeed. When they get their graded papers back, however, they are extremely harsh graders. The tone for the course, as well as the expectations therein, need to be consistent. 


What confuses me is the concept that appears on page 103: "How do teachers know when they have acquired sufficient experience composing and understanding multimodal texts to help students?" I don't really like this idea, because I feel that if teachers always think they're not experienced enough to use technology with their students, they might shy away from evolving their classrooms toward the 21st century in general. Isn't it better to dive right in than to be afraid to try?


I would like to know more about instructive evaluation. This brings to mind the process of teachers going through already graded tests and discussing each answer with students. I remember this being an excruciating process when I had to do it as a younger student, so I wonder how it could be made to be more effective. 

No comments:

Post a Comment