Saturday, October 29, 2011

Extra Blog 2: Article review

Buck, A. "The Invisible Interface: MS Word in the Writing Center." Computers and Composition 25.4 (2008): 396-415. Print.
 
This article is one I actually found for my other class, ENGL 685. I'm doing a research paper about the disconnect among word processing skills and students in community college. This article is all about using MS Word in the writing center, which struck me because I work in a writing center.
 
The article basically says that writing centers should realize that technology is not a transparent tool that doesn't affect the writing that emerges from it. Therefore, instead of students bringing in printed off papers and having writing center employees mark all over them with pen, they should edit papers through word processing directly. This would be more relevant for students, because it reflects the ways in which they actually write.
 
This made me think of our class for many reasons. Technology is affecting everything that we do, but perhaps especially the way we write. Would this be successful in a writing center?

No comments:

Post a Comment