Friday, September 30, 2011

The Future of Cloud Computing

Anderson, Janna. "The Future of Cloud Computing." Pew Internet and 
          American Life Project (2010). Pew Internet. 11 June 2010. Web. 30 Sept.
         2011. <http://www.diigo.com/bookmark/http%3A%2F%2Fpewinternet.org%
         2FReports%2F2010%2FThe-future-of-cloud-computing%2FOverview.aspx%
         3Fview%3Dall?tab=people&uname=rrodrigo>.


This article is interesting, because it talks about people's perception of the cloud, and where it's going. Many think that the cloud is going to replace home-based computing altogether, while others think that it's going to grow, but it could never completely replace home-based computing. 


When I first read this, I thought people would be crazy not to think the cloud is going to eventually change computing as we know it. When I read this piece further, however, I began to realize that the main reason some of the skeptics say that cloud-based computing is never going to completely take over, is because people have trust issues. I completely understand this, as I always back everything up on a flash drive even when I store it somewhere in the cloud. What if I go into a classroom to give a presentation or a workshop and the Internet is down, or the website won't load for whatever reason? Do I just cancel everything and look unprepared? I'd like to know more about this, and how much people's lack of trust in technology is based on being extremely prepared in all situations. 


I was confused by the thought of Facebook and other social networking sites as part of the cloud. I never really thought of Facebook as an element of "the cloud," but I guess it is... 

No comments:

Post a Comment